After watching A Plastic Ocean on Netflix, I felt compelled to take a pledge to reduce my use of single-use plastic. But when I started looking around my house, I felt overwhelmed with the amount of items that were plastic: toothpaste, beauty product containers, Tupperware, the list goes on and on.
So, I started doing some research and asking friends for suggestions on how to reduce my reliance on plastic.
I decided to focus on finding plastic-free items for each room, one at a time.
- Dish soap:
- Cleancult Liquid Dish Soap refill (lemongrass)
Zero Waste Dish Washing Block® Free of Dyes and Fragrance – Vegan Dish Soap Bar
- Hand soap:
- Three Sisters Apothecary bar soups (I’m obsessed with all of them!)
- House Cleaning Products
- CleanCult All-Purpose Cleaner refill
- Small cleaning clothes to replace paper towels (paper towels are sold wrapped in plastic)
- Eney Plastic-Free Natural Sponges sold on Amazon
nSponge – 2 pack – zero waste reusable sponges, 100% cotton and plastic free
- Trash bags
- Plastic-free biodegradable trash bags sold on Amazon
- Raw Elements Face + Body SPF 30 in a tin
- Butter Me Up Organics Natural Sunscreen SPF 45+ in a glass jar
- Schmidt’s deodorant glass jar (my favorite is the lavender + sage)
- Natural toothpaste in a glass jar (spearmint)
- Plastic-free Mint Tooth Tabs
- Dental floss:
- Humankind mouthwash
- Cotton swaps
- Humankind bamboo cotton-swabs: Bamboo and cotton form a durable swab that’s 100% biodegradable, without single-use plastic. Contains 225 swabs.
Bamboo Cotton Buds, Biodegradable and Plastic Free. Contains 200 swabs.
- Makeup Removal Pads
- Hemp and cotton reusable makeup removal pads
- Shampoo bars
- Hello Hibar Plastic-Free Moisturize Shampoo
- Humankind Conditioning Bar: Conditioner in bar form to eliminate single-use plastic waste from your hair care routine. Clean hair, clean planet.
- 35% of Lush’s products are packaging-free, or “naked” including solid shampoo bars, conditioners, soaps, scrubs, massage bars, bath oils and more!
- Rapha Chamois cream for cycling
- Ocean Lube, a natural anti-chafing cream for open water swimming, surfing and triathlon
- Laundry Detergent:
- Drops Stain & Odor Laundry Detergent Pods (lavender eucalyptus) in compostable packages
- Doggie poop bags
- 100% Biodegradable plant-based bags sold on Amazon
Here are some helpful books:
- Plastic Free: how I kicked the plastic habit and how you can too by Beth Terry
- F**k Plastic: 101 to free yourself from plastic and save the world by
Have a favorite plastic-free product? Let me know below. I will continuously update this page as I learn about new products and options for going plastic-free.
One thought on “A Plastic-Free Life: Getting Started”
I’m impressed, I must say. you hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.